Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...19111911
Previous

Next
New Post
8/23/2013 10:42 AM

The Judge - thanks very much for reply and the info.  I admit I was concerned but felt better about it yesterday and now you have simply made me relax even more.

As an LEA, I know that your knowledge in this field is superior to mine and I wanted to point out I was not intentionally going around it.  The ATC is something I will look into in a few years, I am pretty close to retirement now.  So once we settled back into Kananaskis Country, I will look into it.  I believe you can apply for an ATC if you are bowhunting in areas that you can demonstrate predator concerns. 

As to you last point, I am pleased to hear that it is the same advice an old ERT mate of mine passed on to me years ago...be prepared to defend those you love and if worse comes to worse, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

New Post
8/23/2013 10:24 PM

I love the 1911 and have owned several over the years, including a Colt Commander in .38 Super.  But while I like the 1911 I don't think it's the best option if you just want a shooter/carry gun.  I too would vote for the HK45, HK45C or USP45 if you want a .45 ACP.  They simply work very well, they're bombproof and as reliable as death and taxes.  For a woods gun the USP also has the advantage of being one of the few guns that can run .45 Super ammo stock from the factory (a Glock being the other).  In a way the USP is a more versatile platform since it's totally modular; you can get a LEM trigger or carry it cocked-and-locked like a 1911.  You can use the safety as a decocker or you can drop in a Detent #9 that removes the decock function.  Of course, the newer HK45/HK45c are a bit more advanced ergonomically and sport 1913 rails if that's important to you (and I do like having a light on my sidearm when I can).

New Post
8/28/2013 1:39 PM

Last weekend was the CO State IDPA match, and at the last minute I ended up helping out as an SO, which meant I shot with the other SOs on Friday and then ran two different stages, morning and afternoon, for all the rest of the shooters. Basically, that means I got to see about 70 different shooters from novice to smoking hot shoot all manner of handguns on the same stages for comparison.

There is nothing quit like a match to show you the shortcomings of the 1911, and before everyone gets up in arms the overall winner was running a 1911 and he could run the crap out of that thing.  I am also aware that the likelihood of engaging 5+ determined shooters isn't that likely. However, a match allows you to see how you run your gun under pressure, time constraints, less that ideal shooting positions, and shooting more than one target while trying to follow the directions.  I am not saying it can't be done with a 1911 or that a 1911 sucks, but the difference in frequency of magazine changes, ease of magazine changes between double and single stack, and management of recoil of the 45 over a 9 would have been obvious to Hellen Keller, and was magnified by skill level. The novice 9mm/double stack shooters overall had a lot easier time of it than the novice 1911 shooters.  What was also driven home to me was the importance of good ammunition and the issues with home gunsmithing. One guy had two 1911s, colts, go down before 11am due to home gunsmithing issues exacerbated by reloads. I also saw others fighting their reloads .  There other thing is if your gun doesn't want to go into battery it might not be a good idea to bash the end of the slide to force it into battery.

If the 1911 is what you want to run fine, but be aware that it does have its issues, and you better be on top of your magazine changes.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/28/2013 8:58 PM

Look at all the pages just one vendor - Brownell's - devotes to 1911 parts and accessories. After all these years, I still find it a bit ironic that the platform LEAST friendly to amateur gunsmithing is the platform MOST gunsmithed by amateurs. It's a great pistol if you get one set up right and learn how to use it properly, but most folks seem to want to shortcut both of these requirements.

New Post
8/28/2013 9:11 PM

Running the 1911 in competitive scenarios or high round count classes is not for the faint of heart nor the weak of mind. The 1911 will make a dummy out of a dummy, but will allow a top notch competitor to shine. There is nothing quite as satisfying as beating a platoon of plastic shooters with a single stack antique and them coming to you after its over with those questions in their eyes and the discussion of "how did you do that?". Simple. Training, skill, experience and a trigger that can not be equaled by any other design. Kitchen table gunsmithing is just idiot no matter the pistol design. But yes, the 1911 design begs to be tinkered with by boneheads. But that is not the fault of the gun, rather, its the nut behind the gun.

New Post
8/29/2013 11:04 AM

I cringe every time I read or hear some variation of I just bought x 1911 what parts do I need to change to make it reliable or I just bought x 1911 and changed out these parts to make it reliable. Silliness and one of the unfortunate by products of the net.

You hit on it, a 1911 takes more dedication to keep running and to run, but if you put in the time and effort it can be sweet.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/12/2013 12:00 PM

Re: 1911  Modified By unm1136  on 9/12/2013 12:23:40 PM

I have been running a 1911 for about the last 8 years or so, 24/7.  Other than Crimson Trace Laser Grips and a spring change and feeling a little froggy and installing a 10-8 flat trigger it is a stock Kimber Warrior, one of the first 500 off the line.  I love it, but it is heavy, and the mags are 8 rounds and take a little more focus to insert than my Glock mags.  I have been to several high round count classes with it, and feel I appreciate the platform.  I do notice faster splits with my 9mm, but I have seen magic worked with the .45, to the tune of .12 spits.  On a really good day with my 1911 I can hit .16.  My goal for the year is to get below .15.

As lead instructor for my agency, people are always wanting to know what they should buy...In 9mm Glocks or M&Ps is the stock answer.  in .45, M&P is my recommendation.  I have no real use for the .40, but I like the M&P for .40, despite some disturbing internet stories.  I just got a .40 barrel for my Glock 20, so I may be shooting more of it.  If Smith made a M&P in 10mm I would have never bought the Glock.  When it was time to buy my wife a pistol I got her an M&P, and the few issues I have seen first hand with M&Ps were very quickly and cheaply addressed by Smth and Wesson.  The Apex Tactical spring kit finds its way into every M&P I get my hands on.  I am also the department armorer, so I get a fair amount of practice figuring out why guns stop working. 

I have a standing rule for all my guys.  Save up few months more, and buy a case of ammo and a decent holster for it.  Then go to the range for as few days as possible (generally 4-5, I have done it in 2 trips) and shoot all 1,000 rounds in the case without cleaning the weapon.  Lube is fine.  My premise, which has been borne out over the last 15 years or so of seriously shooting is that if the gun has reliability problems, you will see them when you run it hot and dirty and hard.  I have confidence based on experience that my Kimber will go an easy 1200 or so rounds before it needs to be cleaned, more if I put lube on top of the crud.  It also gives you an intense exposure to manipulating the gun, and you become familiar with its handling characteristics from sight picture to how the trigger feels, to the break, reset, recoil characteristics, ect.  Timers are invaluable for showing developing skills.  I consider my timer and my lasergrips to be the best investments I have made towards training.

I have carried Sigs in the past, and Glocks.  I can work either, but prefer others.  I have had a few bad experiences with the XDs, but I am assuming that the issues have been worked out, or they would not still be selling the numbers they appear to be.  I have not tried the HK45, but some shooters I know and respect love them.  Most of the HKs I have handled or shot have felt like bricks in my hand.  Holster availablitly for the HKs can be a bear.  Glocks in any caliber but 9mm seem to need to have parts replaced much more frequently than my 1911, mostly springs, but I gave away my Glock 21 when it started exhibiting reliablitiy problems that armorers could not diagnose.  Now, 20 years later, the same problem popped up in a co-workers Glock 35, and I fixed it for less than $40.00 and about 15 minutes.  My 9mm Glock has not been cleaned in well over 3,000 rounds in the two years I have had it, and it is showing no signs of slowing down.

Since you are shopping around, and you are actually being smart about it and shooting as part of your shopping, find what you like, what feels good, and what you can hit with and go for it.  Buy quality support gear, holster,magazines, ect.  Ring it out hard to learn its characteristics.  Then enjoy. 

I like to spend time over at pistol-training.com, some knowlegeable shooters.  The ower, Todd, annually picks a gun and puts it through the ringer.  Usually gets to the 50,000 round mark, and posts frequent reviews.  The archives have reports on M&Ps, HKs, Glocks, and this year a Springfield 9mm 1911.  The only issue is with how much he shoots, all the guns he reviews are 9mm.  So you really don't get an apples-apples comparison.  I am sure that economics plays a role in that.  I have also taken his Aim Fast Hit Fast course, and learned a whole bunch.  Not all of it is applicable for what I do, but it did open my eyes quite a bit.  The forums also have some very knowlegeable people.

Also, Craig, my daughter has adopted the Kifaru Sleeka jacket I got from you last year.

pat

New Post
9/12/2013 3:29 PM

Pat - thanks for the feedback and advice...always good to have info from those how have/use the tools and provide the training to others.  Had my wife out two weeks ago to fire a Glock and S&W (no HK avail) in .40.  She did not notice much extra recoil over the 9mm, so I am leaning towards a .40 for starting out.  HK P30 are readily avail here so still want to try it out before I make any final decision. 

As to the jacket, outstanding to hear and hope it keeps her warm and gives years of service for her use.  I have recently replaced it with an Arcteryx ATOM LT and hardshell as these (even together) fit under armour better than fleece or merino.

New Post
6/15/2017 10:34 PM

Hey Craig, i would allways go for glock 21 or springfield! But its up tp you!

New Post
6/27/2017 6:20 PM

Craig,

I read much and post little, but have lots of 1911 and Glock time in .45 (US Army, SF, private security work and PSDs). May I pose some questions? Several years ago I went from the 1911 to mod'd Glock 21s (and some '20s) for every-day carry and some woods carry.

What's availability of .45 like in Canada and of some of the guns you've had recommended? In this vein, what about availability of parts and support? There's also the consideration of support for mags, holster, etc.

Unless you go top-end (Les Baer or Dan Wesson and up through Wilsons, Nighthawks, etc; the latter bespoke guns), a Colt or Springfield will likely need something. Something could be a properly extractor or a different safety, new sights, tuning (big or small). Much of the work on the 1911 is more than plug and play. If the out-of-the-box accuracy doesn't suit you, things become much more complicated: bushing (fitting often required), maybe getting the barrel fitted, maybe an after market barrel, after that can come the alchemy of tightening the slide-frame and more. BUT a tuned-up 1911 is a thing of magic in the right hands.

How do you feel about going to school? Larry Vickers, occasionally Ken Hackathorn, and 10-8 run 1911 operator training (the first and last run 1911 building) courses now and then. I took the Vickers operator course and may take it again. When my son's a little older, we may take it together.

Shoot - and have your wife shoot - the big Glock before you spend the money. I have one stock but for me and my glove-size large hands, they work best for me with grip reduction and the removal of the finger grooves. Lane Owens at Cold Bore Custom has done most of the grip reduction work on my guns; can't recommend him highly enough. I also use "-" connectors and tweak the recoil spring assemblies. Most of mine have after-market sights (just turned 63 with the attendant eyesight complications). All of the above can cost less than a box stock Colt; hundreds of dollars less than a Rail Gun. But the large frame Glock is large indeed.

I mention the Glock 20 - large frame in 10mm - because you brought up .40. I have KKM conversion barrels for my '20 in .40 and .357 Sig. I've not run the gun hard - like in a shooting school or full season of competition - but so far with 10mm mags (often the downfall or at least a complication for conversion kits/barrels) the gun's been great in all three calibers. Once again, though, what's the availability of such ammo in Canada? The Glock in 10mm introduces some other issues (case head support with factory barrels, etc; arcane if you're not interested).

Just some considerations. Enjoy your choices.

Chris

New Post
6/27/2017 7:00 PM

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty much fine with whatever pistol folks have chosen....as long as they train regularly and get good with it.  I have a Glock and I'm fine with it....but I also have a 1911 and just love it more.  Certainly the nostalgia of it plays a part, but it also has ergonomics that other pistols try to replicate.  I've had some work done on mine not to make it reliable, because it already was, but rather to dial it in even more for me.  One thing about the 1911....if you spend enough time behind it, you can dial that particular design in pretty personally.  I've carried them downrange in my past life as a soldier, and thankfully we had a unit amrorer that knew what he was doing with them.  That same armorer could also keep any other short guns in our stocks running nicely, as well.  Without the intent of having this thread turn into yet another battle over what is better, I personally will put my own trust in being able to do what I need to do with my 1911, on any day I need to do it.  Just something about that pistol that speaks to me.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...19111911