Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols
Previous

Next
New Post
9/24/2018 6:27 PM

Watch carefully for my preferred bear evasion drill. I'm the guy in the polo. Whomever I'm hiking with is the guy with the ball. The guy in blue is the bear. It is hard to get the people you hike with to help you practice this technique.

New Post
9/25/2018 10:05 AM

If anyone might have access to a grizzly that's mounted on all fours, I'd be curious to know what the rough dimensions are of the following:
a. the head circumference
b. the distance between the eyes
c. the distance between the ears
d. the shoulder height & width

New Post
9/25/2018 12:45 PM

I set up a small drill that I tested for this purpose. A released basketball would roll downhill toward me and I would shoot as it approached. On rough gorund I felt that it might approximate the head of a bear charging toward the shooter, moving in all planes and directions.  Hitting it was not easy and I was grateful that being mauled by a basketball is non-fatal. I got a lot of mileage out of one basketball (cheap at Goodwill) by not hitting it and patching it when I infrequently did. Humbling!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols