Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Mossberg MVP Patrol, pleasantly surprised Mossberg MVP Patrol, pleasantly surprised
Previous

Next
New Post
9/5/2019 8:19 PM

Like many, I had always scoffed at Mossberg rifles because I assumed they couldn’t possibly be any good because they were “budget guns.” However, I never saw any valid reasons for my feelings. It was all conjecture. 

Since the the GSR was first released I have had a love/hate relationship it. I have owned five of them and most were highly accurate, sub Moa shooters but I just hated the Mauser style safety, proprietary mags and cumbersome bolt. So, I saw the Patrol rifle about two years ago and finally decided to try one. I’m glad I did. Here are some features that I believe make it shine. 

1. The Patrol has a 5R Button Rifled barrel which some consider superior to cold hammer forging. Here is an article explaining these processes http://riflebarrels.com/the-details-of-accuracy/

2. The receiver is milled from solid bar stock steel as opposed to being investment cast like so many other manufactures do. 

3. The coyote color synthetic stock is free floated, nice looking and completely adequate for its purpose. In other words, spending $600 on a McMillan will most likely do nothing more than make you think you have a better looking gun. In its factory condition it flat out shoots! 

4. The trigger is nice. It has a little creep but is adjustable. 

5. Williams fire sights were completely centered from the factory and on at 50 yards. 

6. Sub MOA with 165 American Whitetail ammo. Have not tested others yet. 

7. Slightly enlarged bolt handle. 

8. Takes AR and M1 mags.

9. $200 less than GSR. 

New Post
9/5/2019 8:20 PM

Forgot to mention mine it’s chambered in 308.

New Post
9/10/2019 2:24 PM

I have a MVP Patrol in 5.56 that I got in a trade. I put a Leupold 2x7 freedom scope on it and ir shoots well. I am thinking about getting the 7.62 version.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Mossberg MVP Patrol, pleasantly surprised Mossberg MVP Patrol, pleasantly surprised