By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara
Previous

Next
New Post
8/17/2012 10:08 PM

I carry a Tara every single day with my iPad in it. That being said,it's a trick to get an ipad, some misc.extras and 48oz Nalgene to cooperate all the time. I find that once i put my iPad in the bag, making use ofthe bottles sleves is difficult, but not impossible. For my needs, I find the Tarahumara has become the ideal EDC bag. hope this helps?

New Post
8/19/2012 3:03 PM

Thank you that helps.  Next question on the harness, I'm a big guy 6'1" 260, with a big chest and also a long torso.  The tara is longer than my x-ray so it should "carry" a bit better but are the harness straps widely spaced for comfortable carry?

Thanks again.

Bill

New Post
8/19/2012 3:09 PM

We have bigger guys than you who love it. So you shouldn't have a problem. Heck you are taller, than I am, but not bigger.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/25/2012 4:24 PM

Little hike with the Tara.  Just water bottles and lunch for me and the boy in the pack today. 

New Post
8/31/2012 2:59 PM

One more thing before I buy, do you have any special discount codes for first time purchase?  Hey it never hurts to ask!

Thanks again.

New Post
9/1/2012 9:32 AM

We don't. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/1/2012 1:07 PM

Never hurts to ask.

Thanks again

Bill

New Post
10/2/2012 12:28 PM

Just ordered mine this weekend. Can't wait to get it in and load it up. As I've become more involved in the outdoors, my little two liter camelbak just isn't cutting it! I've been using a school backpack for my day outings, and its frankly miserable.

Also, I LOVE the new website layout. So much easier to navigate and find what I want.

New Post
10/7/2012 10:55 AM

Guarding lunch...

New Post
12/6/2012 5:20 PM

has the colour of the ranger green pack material or strapping changed over time? in some pictures the harness/straps looks very green, in others more grey.

in this picture, are both the tara and bag ranger green or is one foliage?

are there any pictures of a foliage and ranger tara next to each other? or certain pictures that you think give the most realistic idea of the colours? i'm looking for a darker grey rather than something greeny, but it's hard to tell when the different cameras and light conditions show different hues.

New Post
12/7/2012 1:35 PM

If you are looking for a grey color then foliage is definitely the one you want. Foliage is a grey color with green saturation, whereas the ranger green is a brown color with green saturation.  There will be slight variations in any color from dye lot to dye lot, which is not something most manufactures will tell you.  Also there will be variatons from manufacture to manfacture due to different dye lots and producers.  That being said there will not be enough variation to really make ranger green not ranger green if that makes sense.  The interesting thing about both foliage and ranger green, and why we like them so much, is that they really blend in well with a wide variety of backgrounds and in different lighting.  That and the camera issue is where your confusion is coming from.  In the above picture the tara and packbag appear to be ranger green to me.

If you go to our home page there is a picture on the right side showing kit bags in all three colors that you can click on that gives a pretty good representation of how they compare.

New Post
4/13/2013 5:06 PM

here's my overnight load out for a fast, light, and comfortable camp. total in at 12 lbs with the nalgene empty so under 13lbs with water.  possibles in the kit bag and total overnight weight at under 16 lbs... pretty cool!

mors pots 1.8L and 1.1L nested with alcohol stove, spork. emberlit el mini also in there.

exped downmat ul 7, cover, pillow, schnozzle pump, and repair kits

grabber's all weather blanket for ground cloth, bcusa mest tarp, stake and guy lines

mountain serape in the kifaru 3 string large stuff sack strapped underneath

tools: sven 21" folding saw, esee 4 knife, and u-dig-it shovel in the padded sleeve and cheap harbor freight ax strapped to the front with 200' of orange paracord in a donut.

the grand trunks hammock bag is there to simulate food (both size and weight of 1 lb).

New Post
6/8/2013 5:51 PM

i just hauled a 20 x 9 x 9, 30# 18v cordless toolset that i bought,  plus water, 1.5 miles through south Philly strapped to my tara np.

New Post
8/7/2013 8:38 PM

I was super late this year getting my mountain biking season started, but better late than never. For biking I have always been a water bladder guy, but with the Tarahumara I've decided to also carry a KK as a back-up, with a Hammer Fizz tablet in it for electrolytes.

I was able to comfortably fit most of my day hike stuff in with a 3L bladder. But yesterday I went ahead and bought a 2L Osprey reservoir.

For those who haven't tried Osprey's water bladders, I highly recommend them. While my Camelpak has yet to spring a leak, the Osprey seems a lot more robust, has a nice handle on the front for filling and for a little support in the pack, and I think the bite valve is far superior; it's got a magnet attachment to keep it in place, both accessible and out of the way. While my girlfriend's Osprey bag had this magnet, I was concerned their stand-alone bladders wouldn't come with one...luckily, they do! Here it is attached to my Tara, took a little doing but it's on there pretty snug:

Not really an in-depth look inside my loadout, but I was fairly excited to find I could do this :) I may or may not remove the bladder for longer day hikes. We'll see how space works out. Might be more of an issue in the late fall, winter, or early spring when I want to carry additional equipment...but for the summer, this is perfect. The Tarahumara is now my automatic go-to bag for biking, hiking, and as a just-in-case when I'm on the rural ambulance at work.

New Post
12/2/2013 10:28 PM

I'm loving my Tara so far! I just got back from a two week vacation in Melbourne, Australia and carried it with me nearly every day. I did get the chance to try it out a couple times at the edge of it's intended use. The first was on a three day side trip up to Sydney as my only pack. I had the main pack stuffed with clothes, with a 10L stuff sack strapped to the outside, a jacket underneath and an extra pair of shoes in the side pockets. It was very comfortable to carry and handled it without complaint. The next was while preparing for "orphans Thanksgiving" I was put in charge of picking up the turkey. I eventually found a nice 5.2Kg turkey and loaded it up in my pack wrapped in a towel and walked the remaining 1.5 Km back home. Again comfortable (if not a little lopsided) and easy to manage. I'll get some pics loaded up soon.

New Post
12/4/2013 4:34 AM

I could pull an overnighter in with this Tara :) A couple photos of it with my home made 6 man Tipi in a Kifaru sack mounted on the back. Also a shot with my hawk.

Seriously loving this pack, thanks HPG!!

New Post
12/11/2013 1:09 PM

Wow, good to see this colorcombo Wilkes!

There seems to be growing interest in  the Kifaru Ultralight pull-out bags as well; hopefully getting my ultra complete set with compression bags in a week. For now I have a Paramo Gillet (nice rustle free and water resistant mountain gear from the UK) and a foliage green Ill Gear beanie in my Foliage Tara:-).

New Post
2/27/2014 8:18 AM

Wondering if a Kifaru grab it panel would work with the Tara?

New Post
4/25/2014 2:50 PM

I just picked up one of these packs.  It was used, but well cared for.  So far I like it, but I am still on the fence about the yoke.  I don't dislike it, it' just different and will take some time getting used to. I did enjoy reading about everything that folks are carrying in it, very impressive.  I look forward to experimenting with it and seeing what my load out will be for EDC and summer overnight jaunts.

New Post
4/26/2014 9:44 AM

As a day hike bag so far I'm packing:

1. Filson wool longjohns
  2. BCUSA multicam MEST
  3. breaided ridgeline
  4. a few hanks of 550 (I'd like to replace this with some decent bank line someday)
  5. fleece benie
  6. altoids tin survival kit (work in progress, I need to add some iodine tabs for water purification)
  7. NBC container fire kit (another work in progress)
  8. about half a roll ot TP 
  9. either two small 16oz Nalgene bottles or a larger SS Nalgene and a plastic one of the same size just depends on how much water I think I'll need
  10. snacks (candied peanuts, beef jerky, etc)
  11. Glock 20 with at least 2 spare magazines and an X200 (need to upgrade light and I NEED to get a kit bag but for now this works)
  12. my iPad mini fits down in the bottom of the hydration sleeve 
  13. small notebook and pen

When I have the funds for a kit bag some of these items will be moved to the kit bag. Obviously the Glock but also things the notebook, iodine tabs will probably be up front if I can find a way to keep them from being crushed, maybe a bit of cordage. Things I want handy or that I use more often. 

I used a Tara last year for some day hunts and I liked it better than the lumber packs I've used in the past for the same thing. I didnt carry the Glock then and it was cold enough I usually wore the long johns but most of the rest of the same kit was in there. All I added was a lunch, a spare orange vest, some flagging tape and an old piece of halter lead rope I use as a drag rope.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWhat's in your TarahumaraWhat's in your Tarahumara