Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneraltaratara
Previous

Next
New Post
4/18/2013 8:48 AM

tara 

so I got my Tara last week and have been itching to get her outside but weather/work have done a great job preventing it. 

To that end we have planned a weekend camp at a state park about an hour from here that has quite a few trails.

Yesterday I get a head cold and then realized I am out of whiskey to fight it. 

I may be a grouchy little bitch all weekend but I'm going anyway.  lol

New Post
4/23/2013 11:12 AM

I see from the activty in this thread that everyone is just dying to find out how my weekend went.

ok, ok.... I'll tell you about it.  :)

so I had what I thought was a cold set in and was concerned about the weekend camping trip being affected.  It turns out that concern was justified.  I went anyway, though, because I don't let little things like illness prevent me from doing what I want.  I wanted to camp and i wanted to try out my new pack and by god I was going to.

Friday's forecast was calling for a low of 29F.  "Child's play" I told them.  I slept in much worse back in the day.  Well, back in the day was much farther back than i cared to realize and I quickly found that some skills, if not used, are forgotten.  The knowledge may lay dormant in the recesses of your mind but it doesn't just pop right back to the front when needed.... in my case, at least, it takes a bit more to surface. 

For example, a layer of insulation between your body and an air mattress is a good idea, especially when you sleep cold anyway.  I don't care if it's 90 I'll have a blanket on me by the time I wake up.  When it's 30 "a blanket" doesn't quite cut it. (well, in this case a sleeping bag laying right on top an air mattress doesn't cut it)

So friday night was completely miserable.  I get up and get the fire stoked back up and we prep for the day.  The plan was a hike of a few miles around the lake.  I strap on the tara and we set off.

First things first.  The tarahumara really does carry great.  You guys were not bullshitting at all about that.  It was so comfortable.  It was also the only thing right about the day.  The temp was right around 60 degrees and by all accounts a great day for a hike.  Especially great for a guy like me because I don't sweat much so staying cool when it's really hot has always been a problem for me and left me at danger for heat related problems.   About a mile in I realize that perhaps I'm feeling worse than I'm admitting to myself because I'm sweating buckets.  Apparently I was a lovely shade of "ghostly" white, too.  So we headed back to camp where I proceeded to pass out in the tent until I woke up with the chills. 

At that point the Mrs. decided we were packing up and she was taking me home.  I then spent Sunday and Monday in bed. 

The best part of all is I don’t regret a second of it.  Being sick sucked but it was nice to get out and it was good to find out where we fall short for things, be it staying warm or having coffee cups (not sure how we missed them).  That said, the next time I have a cold and we have a trip planned they will be going without me.  Not regretting the first trip is one thing but doing it again…. Dumb.  J

New Post
4/24/2013 12:50 PM

In modern American it is easy to forget that back in the day something like a common cold killed lots and lots of folks, and still does in many parts of the world. A compromised body is a compromised body, and it is one of the reasons I over pack just a bit you never know what is going to hit in the back country. Glad it was still a "good" trip and that you enjoyed the tara.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/24/2013 2:57 PM

you know, that's a good point Scot.  I work in an office environment, I've gone to work with a cold plenty of times and gone home after work to lay in bed and drink hot tea or soup or something while my body just rests. 

This situation didn't allow for that "get home and lay in bed" time.  My body was still working to stay warm and then working to hike.  It wasn't until we were home and I was settled that I remembered 1990 and having the flu while in the middle of the desert in Saudi.  Opposite in regard to outside temps but just as miserable after I thought about it.  There was no place to go but back to my ruck and ride it out.  

I guess that's what made it a "good" trip.  Remembering at the age of 21 being sick and outdoors was horrible, doing it at 43 surely isn't going to make it better.  It's honestly reminding me to reflect a little harder on everything I recall from those days because we all tend to block out the bad.  Sometimes we need to remember the bad so we don't re-live it.  

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneraltaratara